A sub-group of the Cert and ESP bargaining team were at the table today, working to resolve issues and make progress in our negotiations with the district administration. The sub-group is also negotiating on Thursday of this week. We are discussing calendar, paraeducator support for General Ed and Special Ed classes, Special Ed ratios, para training, and ways to attract and retain quality substitutes.
We are happy to report that we had a productive day today.
#1: We have joint bargaining!
Thanks to your commitment to each other, the administration agreed to joint bargaining for Certs and ESPs. We will not be divided, and our collective efforts are working! The Cert and ESP bargaining team members will now be able to negotiate with the administration at the same table. We will negotiate two separate agreements with simultaneous expiration dates.
This is a huge victory for our Certs and ESPs. We work together every day and our professional needs often overlap. Now we will be able to discuss our concerns at the same table, with the same administrators. Thank you to all of you for attending our June Contract or Action Vote meeting and voting to pass the two resolutions, wearing your red “We Educate Northshore” t-shirts, and supporting each other. We have worked together for years to achieve this.
This is a big step forward for administration and we would like to thank Superintendent Michelle Reid and Deputy Superintendent Carolyn O’Keeffe for their leadership.
#2: We have a 2016-2017 calendar!
We have tentatively agreed to the following:
- Early Release Days will be on Wednesdays for 2016-2017. The number of I, SDLT, and D Days has not yet been negotiated.
- Non-student days before the start of school: Tuesday, August 30, Wednesday, August 31, and Thursday, September 1
- First student day: Tuesday, September 6
- Veteran’s Day: Friday, November 11
- Thanksgiving: November 24-25
- Winter Break: December 19 through January 2 (back to school on Tuesday, January 3)
- MLK Day: Monday, January 16
- Grading Day: Monday, January 30
- President’s Day: Monday, February 20
- Mid-Winter Break: February 21-24
- Spring Break: April 10-14
- Memorial Day: Monday, May 29
- Graduation Day: Monday, June 19
- Last Student Day: Wednesday, June 21 (see note below)
- Grading Day: Thursday, June 22
- Elementary conference days: November 17-23 and March 3
Note: June 22 and June 23 will be held on the calendar as emergency makeup days in case of weather closures. If either or both days are used as makeup days, the following day will be the non-student grading day.
Please like us on facebook and follow us on Twitter to get updates. Text "NSEA" to 41411 to get text message updates (messaging fees may apply; this will be used sparingly). Our sub-group is back at the table on Thursday, July 28, and our full team has 6 more bargaining sessions scheduled in August.
We hope you are having a good summer and look forward to seeing you at our Contract or Strike Vote meeting on Wednesday, August 31st at 5:00 pm in the Bothell HS Gym.