The MLK Day Rally for Student Civil Rights and Amply Funded Public Schools is just around the corner! We are looking forward to meeting up with thousands of our colleagues from across the state, as well as public education allies, in Olympia. Together, we will fight for the civil rights of our students and for amply funded public schools in Washington.
Be sure to wear your red "We Educate Northshore" t-shirt (or anything red!) to the Rally in Olympia.
Riding the bus to Olympia?
If you have a ticket for one of the chartered coaches, be sure to arrive at either Pop Keeney or the Shoreline Center by 7:30 am. Buses will leave at 8:00 am. Have your ticket printed and ready.
Driving, carpooling--or in need of a ride?
If you are carpooling or want to connect with a driver, be at Pop Keeney by 7:30 am to meet up with (or arrange) a carpool.
For all drivers: visitor parking is available on or near the capitol campus. Nearly all of the parking will be free because of the holiday. This includes the South Diagonal as well as a number of visitor lots. You can access a map detailing visitor parking here.
Parking is also available at the Olympia Farmers Market. There is a DASH Shuttle bus that provides free transit between the Market and the Capitol Campus. Please make sure to allow at least 20 minutes to catch the bus and arrive at the campus. Note that the shuttle may be very busy and you may want to provide yourself with extra time. The Dash shuttle schedule is available here. (Contrary to the website, there is no fee to use the Farmers Market parking.)
Once you get to the Capitol, look for the red "We Educate Northshore" banners to find your colleagues from NSEA!
Important Rally Information
- The Rally begins at 10:30 am on the Capitol Steps and will last about 45 minutes.
- Get there no later than 10:15 am.
- Dress for the weather and wear your "We Educate Northshore" t-shirt or anything else that is red.
- Bring a snack/bagged lunch.
- Following the Rally, we'll join with parents and other supporters to deliver the Student Bill of Rights to each Legislator.
- The event will conclude around 1:00 pm.
- Everyone is encouraged to post to social media - Please use the hashtags #waleg #waedu You can also get text updates by texting "ourvoice" to 41411.
Thank you for spending part of your long weekend advocating for our students and our profession. This is our best chance to make real change to public education funding in Washington state. Spending a day at our rally could make an impact that will last decades.